Vietnamese flexible packaging maker installs Danish corona treater on laminator

Vietnamese flexible packaging maker installs Danish corona treater on laminator

One of Southeast Asia’s leading suppliers of flexible packaging Nam Kyung (NKC) was said to be having issues with adhesion on its laminators supplied by European machine maker Nordmeccanica. It decided to switch to Danish corona machinery maker Vetaphone’s technology with assured adhesion with a consistent dyne level across different substrates, according to Vetaphone.

Founded in South Korea in 1977, NKC developed many packaging material manufacturing facilities around Asia to facilitate entry into local markets, culminating in a joint venture in Indonesia in 1986, and a newly built plant in PyeongTaek in 2003, which has transformed production with the installation of a European manufactured 8-colour CI flexo press and solvent-free lamination capability.  The factory also uses water-soluble coatings.

In 2009, it established a wholly-owned facility in Vietnam that specialises in the manufacture of flexible packaging for the food and confectionary industries.  Nam Kyung Vina is located in the Binh Duong Province, some 50 km north of Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).  The plant, which covers 23,0000 sq m and employs 160 people supplies a range of products to an elite portfolio of international brand owners, including Orion, Ottogi, Dan-Pak, Masan, and CJ. 

To meet the exacting standards demanded by international brand owners, the company adds it is committed to regulations on occupational hygiene and safety as well as food safety and hygiene in accordance with ISO 9001:2015, ISO 22000:2018, and HACPP.  This quest for quality extends into the company’s investment policy, which sees a preference for the latest technology offered by European manufacturers.

Most recently, this included an addition to one of its three solvent-free Nordmeccanica Simplex SL mono-layer laminating lines in the form of a Vetaphone corona treater. 

Ha Tran An Phat, Production Deputy Manager explained: “We have European corona treaters on all our laminating lines but were experiencing quality issues that were causing problems downstream, so began looking for an alternative supplier.”  His conversation began with Nguyen Anh Tu at the Vietnam agent for Nordmeccanica, Song Song Co Ltd, based in Ho Chi Minh City. 

Song Song represents a range of top-end manufacturers supplying the flexible packaging industry in both wide and narrow web formats from extrusion through to converting and processes in between, acting as a ‘one-stop-shop’ for the Vietnamese market.  One of its brand manufacturers is Vetaphone, the Danish pioneers of the corona process, and known for its surface treatment technology.

The conversation between NKC and Song Song resulted in an order for a Vetaphone VE1L-A (C4) Model that was installed in September 2022.  This 6 kW corona treater has a web width of 1.3 m and can match the typical production speed at NKC of 250 m/minute on a variety of substrates including PET, CPP, and LLVE up to 100-micron. 

Commenting on the new treater, Ha said: The Vetaphone gives us a consistently better quality surface treatment with a stable dyne level that guarantees adhesion.  Its design makes it much easier to maintain and service and this has saved us a considerable amount of time, and therefore money.  It was a great recommendation by Song Song who handled the installation and commissioning, so our future corona requirements will be met by them.”

In addition to laminating, the NKC plant handles extrusion coating, and printing on three rotogravure presses, which altogether deliver an annual sales value of US$20 million that represents an output of 350 m metres. 

Currently, 80% of output goes to Vietnam based customers with the remaining 20% exported to the US, Canada, Europe, and South Korea, with plans afoot to add Indonesia to export list of countries. 


Subscribe to Get the Latest Updates from PRA  Please click here

©2023 Plastics and Rubber Asia. All rights reserved.

©2023 Plastics and Rubber Asia. All rights reserved.

Home Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Webmail Site Map About Us


Contact Us Register Subscribe


Instagram icon