.

        PRA

Plant Expansions: Arkema to up photocure resin capacity in China; Huhtamaki starts EUR23 mn flexible packaging plant in Egypt



Arkema to up photocure resin capacity in China

French chemical firm Arkema says it has successfully started up the 30% capacity extension at its Sartomer photocure advanced liquid resin production plant in Nansha, located south of Canton, China. This new production line will help to meet the strong demand in Asia in the electronics, 3D printing, adhesives and inkjet printing markets.

The new line will produce UV, LED and EB (electron beam) liquid resins for photocuring systems dedicated to high-end applications such as electronics where they are used in the production and design of printed circuits, as well as smartphone, tablet and television screens.

The line will also manufacture Sartomer’s portfolio of N3xtDimension resins for 3D-printed products.

Sartomer, which is part of the Arkema group, has production sites and R&D facilities in Europe, Asia and the US.

Arkema says developing environmentally friendly and complying with global standards on volatile organic compound (VOC) low emissions are part of its strategy to develop and offer sustainable solutions contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations.

Huhtamaki starts EUR23 mn flexible packaging plant in Egypt

In other news, Finnish flexible packaging maker Huhtamaki has launched its new packaging unit in Egypt, marking the company's entry into manufacturing flexible packaging in Africa.

The greenfield is located in the greater Cairo area and will serve Huhtamaki's flexible packaging customers in Egypt as well as export its products into other African countries and Europe. The manufacturing unit is built on a land area of almost 37,000 sq m, with ample space for future expansion. Production has started this spring and the facility is expected to employ approximately 250 employees.

"The Egyptian market is sizeable, and with the rapid population growth in Africa we expect future growth opportunities both for us and our customers. Until now we have served flexible packaging customers in Egypt from our units in the United Arab Emirates and India. With the new plant we can offer our current and new customers - both in Africa and Europe - the same top quality with shorter lead times," says Olli Koponen, EVP Flexible Packaging.

The new manufacturing unit is owned and operated as a joint venture of which Huhtamaki owns 75%. The remaining 25% is owned by Ayman Korra, who has been Huhtamaki's joint venture partner in the Egyptian fibre packaging business since 2003. The current investment, including land purchase, facility construction and machinery, is expected to be approx. EUR23 million with Huhtamaki share at approx. EUR17 million.

(PRA)


Subscribe to Get the Latest Updates from PRA  Please click here



©2018 Plastics and Rubber Asia. All rights reserved.

©2018 Plastics and Rubber Asia. All rights reserved.

Home Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Webmail Site Map About Us

MORE ON PLASTICS AND RUBBER ASIA

Contact Us Register Subscribe

SOCIAL

 Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Reddit
Google+
Instagram